Mornings can be stressful and chaotic, but they don’t have to be! Check out these 5 easy ways to start your day energized, and ready to tackle anything that comes your way. Carpe diem!
1. Meditate or sit for a moment: Before getting out of bed, take a few deep breaths, think about the things you are looking forward to, what you are grateful for, and what you hope to accomplish in your day. How you start your morning sets the tone for the whole day. Meditation also lowers levels of cortisol, the stress hormone. Excess cortisol can lead to higher blood sugar & blood pressure, a weakened immune system, and weight gain.
2. Let the morning light in: How we wake up is just as important as how we go to sleep. Our body responds to natural light, and light alerts our internal clocks that it is time to wake up. Go ahead, don’t be shy: open those curtains!
3. Prep the night before: There is nothing more stressful in the morning than rushing and trying to figure out what to eat for the day. Make it easy on yourself and pack your lunch the night before. Many breakfasts such as overnight oats or hardboiled eggs can also be made ahead the night before. Click here for more easy and scrumptious breakfast ideas! Oh, and we can’t forget lunch: click here for some tasty lunch ideas. Logging your breakfast and lunch in the Brook App can improve awareness of what you are eating and how it affects your energy & health.
4. Eat breakfast: We can’t stress this one enough. Skipping breakfast may save you time, but you will be paying for it later and with an energy crash. For sustained energy and satisfaction choose a complex carb, protein, and healthy fat. Balanced breakfast ideas include oatmeal with nut butter and berries or toast with scrambled eggs and avocado.
5. Go for a quick walk: A great way to tell your body that it is time to wake up is by going for a walk outside. Morning light sends a message to your circadian clock that it is time to get the day started, suppresses melatonin (a sleep hormone), and helps get everything moving. Plus, it’s a great way to boost your step count in Brook right from the get-go!
Need more ideas and inspiration? Head on over to the Expert channel in your Brook app. The Brook Experts are available for questions, tips & tricks, and goal setting every single day.